The cheanest RED Komodo setup wireless control from BM5WR, which supports “camera control” and is compatible with RED Komodo camera. You don’t need any cables to make the monitor communicate with the camera. This monitor has been approved by RED. It is very exciting now because there are only a few displays that can do this, and they are from Small HD, and they are a bit expensive and need to be separate control cable. Therefore, being able to control Komodo wirelessly via the touch screen gives you more freedom.
BM5 WR has an ultra-high brightness of 2200 nits and can control Komodo 6K wirelessly. Let’s take a look at this monitor, it may be one of the best choices for Komodo or even Blackmagic cameras, because it can also control blackmagic cameras wirelessly.
From the first time I took out the monitor, the manufacturing quality of the metal casing has left a deep impression on me. The entire monitor is made of CNC aluminum alloy.
- On the top, There are four customizable function buttons. What’s more, there a mounting port on the top and bottom
- On the left, you will see the power switch and plug headset hole and HDMI inport.
- On the back, there is a 4-pin aviation power connector, a 5-pin focus puller, and SDI in/out interface. The monitor can be powered by Sony NP-F batteries or a 4-pin aviation to D-Tap power cable.
- On the bottom, you can see a USB port for loading lut and upgrade the firmware, and a camera control port.
When connected to wifi, bluetooth,or a proper camera control cable, the monitor can be used to control many different cameras, moreover, it can control Komodo and blackmagic cameras wirelessly.
How to set up BM5WR to control RED Komodo 6K via Wi-Fi
The following steps will demonstrate how to connect to RED KOMODO wirelessly and monitor the camera and lens settings through the BM5 WR. Portkeys BM5 WR enables users to start/stop recording or adjust shutter speed, white balance, ISO, etc. from the BM5 WR monitor.
Before you begin:
1. Establishing all physical connections.
2. Need to connect to the signal (HDMI/SDI) before setting.
Step 1: Turn on Wi-Fi connection. To do that, on the KOMODO camera, go to the Main menu > Communication, access to Wi-Fi settings. Select Mode, enable Ad-Hoc.
- Ad-Hoc: KOMODO will create its own network, and the name and password will default to the PIN code of the camera.
- Make sure the SSID setting starts with “KOMODO” or “komodo” and the frequency band is “2.4GHz“.
Step 2: On the monitor, swipe down from the top of the screen to access the “Camera Control” settings.
Step 3: On the “Camera Control” panel, select Wi-Fi/USB camera mode. Click the “Camera” icon to enable the Wi-Fi (ON/OFF) switch.
Step 4: Turn on the Wi-Fi button, then select “Add a new device“, select the Wi-Fi name on the monitor.
Step 5: Enter the password, and click the “Connect” button. After a successful connection, the Wi-Fi icon will display the wireless status of the camera.
Step 6: Then, you can use the monitor to control any function of Komodo via touchscreen in real-time. Parameters such as record, iris, shutter, ISO, and autofocus.
You will be able to make the most common changes to the camera, such as aperture, shutter speed, iso, white balance, and frame rate. You can also start and stop recording, and the display on this monitor is very good. It is very clear at 1080p.
Impressively, it is also 2200 nits, which is one of the brightest displays I have ever seen. It is perfect in strong sunlight, even without a hood, I can see proper exposure and focus, so the monitor also has a large number of movie production tools, these tools are common in all monitors, you can dial according to your preferences By entering these tools, you can also customize the functions of the function buttons and set them as different tools.